Last month, TFPP reported that fired and disgraced former FBI Director James Comey made his decision not to charge Hillary Clinton over her lawbreaking in Emailgate before even bothering to interview her. That bombshell accusation came from Rep. Trey Gowdy and Sens. Lindsey Graham and Chuck Grassley, and today brings us fresh corroboration.
Newsweek reports that newly-released documents from the FBI confirm that Comey did indeed draft his statement announcing an end to the bureau’s investigation of Clinton’s classified intel mishandling prior to interviewing the former First Lady, Senator, Secretary of State, and failed presidential candidate:
The records show that on May 2, 2016, Comey emailed Deputy Director Andrew McCabe, general counsel James Baker and chief of staff and senior counselor James Rybicki. The subject of the email was “midyear exam,” and though the email says its contents are unclassified, the body of the email is redacted in the release.
On Monday, the bureau also released a response to the May 2 email. Rybicki sent the response, dated May 16, 2016, to several colleagues: Peter Strzok, Jonathan Moffa, Baker, Trisha Anderson and E.W. Priestap. He copied McCabe and David Bowdich, the associate deputy director. In the email, which is marked “unclassified,” Rybicki wrote, “Please send me any comments on this statement so we may roll into a master doc for discussion with the Director at a future date. Thanks, Jim.”
The FBI titled the release “Drafts of Director Comey’s July 5, 2016 Statement Regarding Email Server Investigation.” That title refers to a press conference Comey held in which he said the bureau had completed its investigation into Clinton’s use of a personal email system and that it would not be recommending that the Department of Justice pursue charges, though Clinton had been “careless.” The bureau interviewed Clinton on July 2, 2016.
In a sentence that surely must have pained Newsweek’s editors to approve, Max Kutner’s report goes on to outright state that the document dump “confirms” Republicans’ earlier announcement on the subject. In a sane world, this would put to rest the long-running fake controversy over President Donald Trump’s firing of Comey, but because our political culture is teeming with hackery and incompetence, instead “FBI and Justice Department analysts are divided” on just how serious Comey’s actions were.
Newsweek quotes retired FBI assistant criminal investigation director Chris Swecker as stating the obvious — “this is so far out of bounds it’s not even in the stadium” — but also quotes ex-DOJ spokesman Matthew Miller reassuring everyone that “The decision is never ‘made’ until the end.”
In reality, this couldn’t be simpler. As Fox New’s Gregg Jarrett has detailed, Comey testified under oath that he didn’t decide whether to charge Clinton until after interviewing her, and leaked government records to the media for political purposes. As we have covered, Comey eventually admitted to repeatedly assuring Trump he wasn’t under investigation yet refused to simply announce that fact to the country when it would have helped dispel lies and innuendo. And, to bring this all back to Comey’s original disgrace, he knew full well Clinton was guilty but chose not to enforce the law for political reasons.
James Comey was a disgrace who betrayed his public duty. It’s time to stop pretending we don’t already know it, and time to stop indulging the ridiculous notion that we need an investigation to figure out why Trump wouldn’t want such a man in his administration.